Only 18 of the 68 metopes of the temple of Hephaestus were sculptured, the rest being probably painted. An earlier interpretation identified the birth of Erichthonios in the east pediment and Heracles before Thetis in the west. The architectural sculpture is in both Pentelic and Parian marble. Original file (5,984 × 3,989 pixels, file size: 7.3 MB, MIME type: image/jpeg), https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0 Name. In the distance Piraeus. The frieze of the pronaos depicts a scene from the battle of Theseus with the Pallantides in the presence of gods while the frieze of the opisthodomos shows the battle of Centaurs and Lapiths. The Temple of Hephaestus and Athena Ergane ( _el. Their marble bathrooms come with custom-design glass-enclosed showers. The material used is Pentelic marble with the exception of the lowest step of the crepidoma which is from limestone and the decorative sculptures for which the more expensive Parian marble was chosen. You may view this object in Mirador – a IIIF-compatible viewer – by clicking on the IIIF icon below the main image, or by dragging the icon into an open IIIF viewer window. This file contains additional information, probably added from the digital camera or scanner used to create or digitize it. In 1834, the first King of Greece, Otto I, was officially welcomed there. The foundations are of early Roman construction… … Wikipedia, Temple of Aphrodite Urania — The Temple of Aphrodite Urania ( Greek: Αφροδίτη Ουρανία ) is a temple located north west of the Ancient Agora of Athens and dedicated to the Greek goddess Aphrodite ( Urania a refined title meaning celestial). "I Modelli del Moderato". In the 7th century A.D. it was converted to a Christian church. It is located in the ancient agora, not too far from the Acropolis. The temple is built of marble from the nearby Mt. Interior with superimposed Doric colonnade along 3 of the cella walls, but the original number of columns is uncertain. Please contact Museum Rights and Reproductions if you have further information on the rights status of a work contrary or in addition to the information in our records. All rooms feature the latest in video and sound design, stylish furnishings, Egyptian cotton sheets and large work desks. 13.71 m x 38.24 m; intercolumniations: external columns 2.58 m (at the corners 2.41 m); lower diameter external columns: 1.02 m (at the corners 1.04 m); height external columns: 5.71 m. Doric peripteral temple, 6 x 13 columns. Infobox Historic buildingname=Temple of Hephaestus/TheseionΝαός Ηφαίστου/Θησείοcaption=Temple of Hephaestus, Athens: eastern facemap_type= location_town=Athenslocation_country=Greecearchitect=client=engineer=construction_start_date=449 BCcompletion_date=415 BCdate_demolished=cost=structural_system=style=size=. From a distance it looks larger than it actually is, with its curves and inclination of the columns towards the center and with its splendid patina of the weather-stained marble from the quarries of Mt. The identification of this temple as Hephaesteion (location of worship of the god Hephaestus) was ascertained by the excavations and investigations that brought to light metallurgy workshops on the wider area of the hill, thus outshining earlier opinions presuming that Thesseus, Hercules or Ares (Mars) were the deities worshiped there. During the 18th century, many eminent Protestants, who died in Athens, were interred in the edifice, while in 1834 it hosted the ceremony of the first reception of King Othon. Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. For other uses, see Athens (disambiguation). Later theories suggest that the west pediment was dedicated again to the battle between Centaurs and Lapiths while the east pediment depicted the "deification" of Heracles, the entry of the hero onto Mount Olympus. When Pericles came to power, he envisioned a grand plan for transforming Athens into the centre of Greek power and culture. From the 7th century until 1834, it served as the Greek Orthodox church of St. George Akamates (Ἀγιος Γεώργιος Ακαμάτης). The Athenians directed their funds towards rebuilding their economy and strengthening their influence in the Delian League. Both the pronaos and the opisthodomos are decorated with continuous Ionic friezes (instead of the more typical Doric triglyphs, supplementing the sculptures at the pediments and the metopes. Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. Details of the Capital of the Opisthodomos: Fig. According to Pausanias, the temple housed the bronze statues of Athena and Hephaestos. Peter von Hess, "King Othon Received by the Greek Patriarch at the Theseum (Hephaesteion) on January 13th, 1835", 1835. The temple was richly decorated. [ [http://plato… … Wikipedia, Hephaestus — Héphaïstos Héphaïstos forgeant la foudre de Zeus par Rubens, musée du Prado Dans la mythologie grecque, Héphaïstos ou Héphaistos (en grec ancien Ἥφαιστος / … Wikipédia en Français, Greek temple — Greek temples (Ancient Greek: polytonic|ὁ ναός , gr. Furthermore, on the north and the south side are depicted four of the feats of Theseus, which probably were the reason why the people named this temple "Thession". It has also been proposed that the temple was dedicated to Eukleia (Artemis). The content on this page is available according to the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) specifications. The Temple of Hephaestus in Athens, Attica: The Temple of Hephaestus is the best preserved ancient temple in Greece. The images, titles, and inscriptions are products of their time and the creator’s perspective and are presented here as documentation, not a reflection of Getty’s values. View toward SW up the stairway leading to the Temple of Hephaistos on the ... View from SW, Athens, Temple of Hephaistos, South side, from SE, Athens, Temple of Hephaistos. There were numerous potter shops and metal working factories in the vicinity of the temple, justifying the dedication of the temple to these two deities. The Parthenon, the Coliseum, the Temple of Hephaestus, and the temple of Athena Nike are just a few. What are the disadvantages of primary group? How long does a fresh turkey last in the refrigerator? There was also an inner Doric colonnade (κιονοστοιχία) with five columns on the north and south side and three across the end (with the corner columns counting twice). The text on this page is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless otherwise noted. The western frieze (ζωφόρος) was completed between 445-440 BC, while the eastern frieze, the western pediment (ἀέτωμα) and several changes in the building's interior are dated to 435-430 BC. Who is the longest reigning WWE Champion of all time? Usually referred to as the Hephaisteion, the building was previously called the Theseion, a name still in common use.